Tuesday 8 July 2008

Good news for frosties

I was fascinated to read that new research from Denmark has shown that babies born after frozen embryo transfers tend to weigh more, and to be less likely to be admitted to neo-natal units than their fresh counterparts. Freezing embryos is an everyday part of IVF, and yet the idea of a life being frozen in time is still quite extraordinary when you think about it.

When I started having fertility treatment about 13 years ago, some fertility experts were still suggesting that freezing embryos was potentially risky as we didn't know whether it would have any long-term side effects. Some patients chose to discard frozen embryos rather than "risk" freezing them. When I found I was pregnant after a frozen embryo transfer, I had to keep reassuring myself that the thousands of babies who'd already been born that way hadn't shown any adverse outcomes.

Now, this Danish study suggests that in fact frozen embryos may be stronger because they have to survive the freezing and thawing process, and that only the toughest will do this. You can read more here

No comments: