Thursday 14 June 2012

What are we called?

I was reading a blog post the other day that referred to people with fertility problems as "infertiles" and it made me think about what we call ourselves.

I prefer to think of myself as having a fertility problem rather than an infertility problem - and I tend to talk about fertility treatment rather than infertility treatment.  I know some people feel that using the word "fertility" rather than "infertility" is just evading the issue - but at the same time, most of us are actually sub-fertile and have some chance of conceiving with treatment, rather than being absolutely infertile, with no chance at all.

I'd only ever come across the use of the word "infertiles" to describe people with fertility problems once before, and I don't like it any more now than I did then. To me,  it's just a horrid word. It's so stark and seems to add to the stigma.  What do you think?

2 comments:

olivia montuschi said...

I agree Kate. An ugly word designed to depersonalise and put distance between the writer and anyone with fertility problems. Horrid!

fertilityviews said...

Glad you feel the same way - I can't work out why anyone would use it