Wednesday 23 April 2008

Easy IVF

According to The Times , IVF could be about to become so much easier that you could do it in your lunch hour.

Apparently a new device called Invocell would enable most of the treatment to be carried out in a GPs surgery. Instead of mixing eggs and sperm in dishes in the laboratory, the eggs would be put into the device along with washed sperm, and then put back into the vagina. The device would be removed a few days later and fertilised eggs could then be transferred into the womb.

It all sounds quite straightforward, but even with this device, you'd still have to have eggs collected from the ovaries, which isn't something you are ever going to be able to do in your lunch hour, and from a patient perspective I'm not entirely sure the advantages of saving on laboratory bills would make it worthwhile. You can read more at www.timesonline.co.uk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the same article in Grazia last week and wanted to write in since the headline is very deceptive. I hope to undergo IVF but its my understanding that the follicle stimulation & hormones are a huge part of this. As you say, this would still need to be done ... so I felt somewhat disappointed in discovering that the headline "IVF in your lunchbreak" was merely catchy copy rather than an accurate description of the process. I keep wishing there will be a magic pill or discovery ... so reading articles like this don't help my spirit.

fertilityviews said...

You're quite right Sharon - and I think the one thing we all come to realise once we start on the journey through tests and treatment is that there aren't any magic solutions. And you made me realise I should have put a question mark at the end of my own headline!